1 cup water
1 chicken breast
1/4 cup rice
3 whole carrots
- In a covered pot, and using no salt or spices, combine water, chicken breast
and rice. Simmer for 20 minutes, then add carrots and green beans. Simmer 10
- For Babies 6-12 months: Blend or process the meat with enough of the cooking
broth to make it moist. Mash the carrots and then the beans Store separately
in individual servings in the freezer sealed in plastic sandwich bags, or in
a plastic ice-cube tray, which must be bagged and tied. Defrost a meal at breakfast,
so it's ready to heat for lunch. As your child gets a few months older and
can chew better, you can grate these ingredients instead of blending them and
you can use your leftovers, too.
- For 8 to 12 month-olds or omit raisins for younger children: In microwave
oven, cook sweet potato at 100 % for 5 minutes, or longer if it is very big.
Prick the skin before cooking. Carefully remove the meat of the potato.
- In a bowl, mix in the carrot and yogurt, then the egg; blend until smooth.
Add the raisins and nutmeg sprinkle if you are using them. If the mixture appears
dry, add another tablespoon yogurt. Cook at 100 percent, uncovered, for 2 minutes.
Stir, cook 1 1/2 minutes more. Let rest 2 to 3 minutes. This tastes best if
served as soon as it cools.
- Serve with a dollop of cold yogurt.
Yield: 2 cups
The Mother's Almanac - Marguerite Kelly & Elia Parsons (Doubleday)
>> Baby Recipes