New England Pot Roast
This is SO tasty. The leftovers make wonderful roast beef sandwiches also.
1 (4 pound) boneless beef chuck arm, shoulder or blade pot roast
1 to 2 teaspoons
1 teaspoon pepper
1 (8 ounce) prepared horseradish
1 cup water
8 small potatoes, cut in half
8 medium carrots, cut into fourths
8 small onions,
1/2 cup cold water
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- In 4-quart Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until brown on all sides.
Reduce heat to low.
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Spread horseradish over all sides of
beef. Add 1 cup water to Dutch oven. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and
simmer 2 hours 30 minutes.
- Add potatoes, carrots and onions to Dutch oven. Cover and simmer about 1
hour or until beef and vegetables are tender.
- Remove beef and vegetables to warm platter; keep warm.
- Skim excess fat from broth in Dutch oven. Add enough water to broth to measure
- In tightly covered container, shake 1/2 cup cold water and the flour; gradually
stir into broth. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Serve gravy with beef and vegetables.
Recipe is the property of Linda Ann Jolly.
>> Family Favorites Recipes