Chili Verde in the Instant Pot
- 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 6 tomatillos, quartered, husks discarded
- 5 Hatch green chiles, roughly chopped, seeds and stems discarded
- 2 serrano or jalapeño chiles, roughly chopped, stems discarded
- 1 white onion, roughly chopped
- 6 medium cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seed, toasted and ground in molcajete
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves and fine stems, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- Fresh corn tortillas and lime wedges, for serving
- In Instant Pot liner brown the pork well, using the Saute function.
- Add tomatillos, Poblano peppers, Anaheim peppers, serrano peppers,
onion, garlic, cumin, and a big pinch of salt. Heat until gently sizzling.
Pressure cook on HIGH for 30 minutes.
- Quick pressure release.
- Using tongs, transfer pork pieces to a bowl and set aside.
- Add cilantro and fish sauce to remaining contents of Instant Pot liner.
Blend with an immersion blender or in a countertop blender, then season to
taste with salt.
- Return pork to sauce and stir gently to combine.
- Serve immediately with tortillas and lime wedges.
Photo credit: (c) Can Stock Photo / fanfo