Bacon 'n' Herb Roasted Chicken
5 cloves garlic, peeled
1/3 cup vegetable oil
4 slices bacon, minced
2 tablespoons minced white onion or shallots
3 teaspoons chopped thyme and/or
1 whole roasting chicken
1 lemon, cut into wedges
1 1/4 cups chicken
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In saucepan, cook garlic in oil for 10 minutes or until soft. Remove garlic,
mash. Discard all but 2 tablespoons oil.
- In skillet, cook bacon, shallots and 2 teaspoons herbs in 1 tablespoon oil
for 4 minutes.
- Let cool, then spread under skin of chicken.
- In bowl, mix remaining herbs and oil, brush over chicken. Place chicken
on rack set in roasting pan. Place lemons in cavity. Add 1/2 cup broth to pan.
Place chicken in oven. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Roast for 1 hour 45 minutes or until thermometer reads 175 degrees F, basting
with broth often. Transfer chicken to platter.
- Pour pan drippings into glass measure. Skim and discard fat. Place pan over
heat, add remaining broth and drippings. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly
- Add vinegar and garlic.
- Serve with chicken.
Yield: 6 servings
>> Baked Chicken Recipes
>> All Chicken Recipes