Cinnamon Lamb (Passover Roast Lamb)
This recipe works equally well with a crown roast of lamb or lamb chops. Choose
among herbs and spices or add a few of your own.
1 (3-pound) shoulder of lamb
2 cloves garlic, cut in slivers
almonds or walnuts
1 teaspoon dried or 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried or 3 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
1/2 to 1 teaspoon
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
Pinch of cloves
Kosher salt and black
pepper to taste
Juice of 2 lemons
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Score the lamb. Place slivers of garlic inside.
- Place almonds, dried parsley, dried mint, cinnamon, chili powder, cloves,
salt and pepper in a spice grinder. Pulse until thoroughly mixed. (If using
fresh parsley and mint add to mixture after the other items are ground).
- Place in medium mixing bowl. Add lemon juice and olive oil. Stir until consistency
is a thick paste.
- Fill cracks in the meat and cover outside with the paste. Let lamb sit for
half an hour in the refrigerator.
- Place lamb in a shallow roasting pan. Roast, until interior is slightly
pink, about 15 minutes per pound.
- Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Yield: 4 servings
>> Passover Recipes