with Heirloom Tomatoes
Pimentón or smoked paprika adds flavor to this spread topped with crunchy walnuts.
1 cup California walnuts, toasted, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup parsley leaves, fresh, flat leaf
1 clove garlic, small (optional)
1/2 cup feta cheese
1/2 cup cottage cheese, low fat, low sodium
water or milk, low-fat
1 teaspoon pimentón or paprika, ground
6-8 slices artisan bread, fresh or toasted
Extra virgin olive oil
Extra California walnuts, chopped, for sprinkling
tomatoes, ripe, enough to slice thickly
for 6 sandwiches
Oregano, dried or
Black pepper, freshly ground
- Spread: Place the walnuts, parsley, and optional garlic in a blender or food
processor, and pulse in spurts until the walnuts and garlic are finely ground and
the parsley is feathery and all is combined.
- Add the feta cheese, cottage cheese, water or milk, and seasonings, and puree
- Transfer to a small bowl, cover tightly and chill until cold.
- Sandwiches: Brush each slice of bread with a little olive oil, then spread the
topping thickly and sprinkle with extra chopped walnuts.
- Top with thick slices of tomato, a sprinkling of oregano and a few grinds of
fresh black pepper.
- Serve open faced.
Created By Mollie Katzen - Chef and Author
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Walnuts.
>> Cold Sandwich Recipes
>> All Sandwich and Wraps Recipes