Horchata (Mexican Rice Drink)
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 quart water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grind rice to a coarse meal in a blender.
- Mix together rice, cinnamon, almonds and water. Cover loosely and let stand overnight.
- Puree the rice mixture, then strain through several layers of dampened cheesecloth.
- Mix in sugar and vanilla extract.
- Serve ice cold.
- To serve, pour into tall, ice-filled glasses.
Plain Horchata: Omit cinnamon sticks and slivered almonds from
Chocolate Horchata: Omit cinnamon sticks and slivered almonds
from basic recipe. Add 2 ounces grated Mexican chocolate (Ibarra is good) to rice.
Continue as in basic recipe.
Strawberry Horchata: Omit cinnamon sticks and slivered almonds
from basic recipe. Prepare as for basic, adding 1 (10 ounce) package frozen strawberries
with the sugar and vanilla extract. Continue as directed.
Other Southwestern beverage recipes you may like...
Patron Silver Margaritas
Traditional Latin Horchata