Chicken Enchiladas with Green Sauce
1/2 cup peanut oil
12 flour tortillas
3 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 pound Monterey jack cheese, grated
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup finely chopped scallions
1 1/2 cups chopped Mexican green tomatoes or
tomatillos verde, fresh or canned (drained)
1 cup chopped cilantro
1 (4 ounce) can peeled green chiles, drained and chopped
1 1/2 cups sour cream
- Heat oil in a skillet. Put each tortilla into the hot oil for a
few seconds, turning it over so it softens. Stack the tortillas
in a pan.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Oil a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Put some chicken, cheese, 1 teaspoon of cream, a sprinkle of scallions
and salt to taste down the center of each tortilla. Roll them loosely
and set side by side in the baking dish with ends overlapping. Cover
the dish snugly with foil and bake for 30 minutes, until cheese
is melted and bubbly.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Finely chop the tomatoes, cilantro
and green chiles. These can be run through the food processor briefly
so that the texture is in chunks instead of pureed. Stir in the
sour cream until it is well blended. Remove the enchiladas from
the oven and spoon a little of the green sauce over the top.
- Serve remaining sauce with enchiladas.
>> Southwestern Enchilada Recipes
>> All Southwestern Recipes