12 medium flour or corn tortillas
2 whole cooked chicken breasts
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
6 green onions, minced
Pepper to taste
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
2 cups grated jack cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon chili powder
Oil for frying, if corn tortillas are used
Cilantro and avocado slices for garnish (optional)
- Prepare the chicken breasts by removing bone and skin. Shred the
meat into long pieces.
- Mash the cream cheese with a spoon until
smooth. Mix in chicken, green onions, salt, pepper, and one half
of the diced chiles. Mix in 1 cup of the jack cheese. This is the
filling for the enchiladas and may be prepared ahead.
- If flour tortillas
are used, simply heat until limp in a frying pan. If you use corn
tortillas, heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry each tortilla
until limp, adding oil as needed.
- Fill each tortilla with about 2 tablespoons of the filling. Roll
the tortilla and place seam-side down in a lightly greased baking
pan. Mix the sour cream with tomato sauce, chili powder, and remaining
diced chiles. Spoon over tortillas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes at 325 degrees F. They should be just
hot, with the cheese melted.
- Garnish as desired. Cilantro leaves and pale green avocado slices
make a lovely topping.
>> Southwestern Enchilada Recipes
>> All Southwestern Recipes