Doritos Taco Salad
This is a long-time, much-loved visitor to buffets and potlucks. Toss just
before serving to prevent the Doritos from becoming soggy.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 taco seasoning packet
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped thin, leaving a bit for garnish
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 10 ounces Nacho flavored Doritos
- 16 ounces catalina salad dressing
- Sour cream
- Brown the ground beef until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
- Stir in the taco seasoning packet and water. Simmer until thickened,
about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, peppers, black olives, pinto
beans, tomatoes, cheddar and green onions.
- Top with the seasoned and cooled ground beef.
- Slightly crush the Doritos and sprinkle on top. Drizzle with catalina
dressing and toss to coat evenly.
- Garnish with sour cream and additional green onions is desired.
- Serve immediately.