2 large or 3 small, perfectly ripe avocadoes
1 green bell pepper, hulled and deseeded
1 jalapeno or serrano
chile, hulled and deseeded
1 Spanish onion, skinned
1 clove garlic, peeled
1 pint cold water
1 teaspoon salt
Small bunch fresh cilantro
of 1 lime or lemon
1/2 cup sour cream
1 lime, quartered
Chilled tequila (optional)
- Skin, halve, and stone avocadoes.
- Roughly chop cucumber, bell pepper, chile, onion and garlic; put them in
blender (or vegetable juicer, if available) with the water and process thoroughly.
- Strain, pressing well to extract all the juices.
- Return strained liquid to blender with avocado flesh, cilantro leaves (leaving
a few for decoration), lime juice and salt. Process to puree, adjust seasoning.
- Serve chilled, topped with a dollop of sour cream, lime quarters and kosher
salt. Accompany with small glasses of tequila, either to sip with lime and salt,
or to stir directly into the soup (optional).
>> Southwestern Soup Recipes
>> All Southwestern Recipes
>> Mexican Soup Recipes