Fried Deviled Brie
Breaded wedges of brie are deep-fried, then garnished with fresh herbs and served warm with jalapeno jelly.
- 1 (8 ounce) round Brie or Camembert cheese, chilled
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Fresh herbs 1/2 cup jalapeno or other pepper jelly, warmed
- Cut cheese into 8 wedges. Set aside.
- On a piece of wax paper, a small plate, or a small mixing bowl stir together flour and mustard.
- In another small mixing bowl stir together egg and milk.
- In another small mixing bowl stir together bread crumbs, red pepper, and black pepper.
- Coat each piece of cheese in flour mixture. Dip into egg mixture and coat with bread crumb mixture. Dip again into egg mixture and then into bread crumb mixture.
- Deep-fry coated cheese wedges in hot oil (365 degrees F) for 30 to 60 seconds or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and serve warm with jelly.
Yield: 8 appetizer servings
Source: Better Homes and Gardens