Phyllo Wrapped Black Forest
Ham and Swiss Filled Brie
Serve Phyllo Wrapped Black Forest Brie with crackers and Dijon mustard.
- 8 sheets Athens® Fillo Dough (9″ x 14″), thawed
- 8 ounce Brie wheel
- 3 tablespoons Swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 ounce (1 slice) Black Forest ham, 1/8-1/4″ diced
- Egg wash, 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water
- Canola oil or cooking spray
- Thaw one roll of fillo, following thawing instructions on package.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix together Swiss cheese and ham.
- Unwrap Brie wheel and lay flat on a work surface. With a sharp knife, cut
a hole in the middle of the top about 3/4 of the way through. The hole should
be about 1 3/4 inch in diameter. Press the ham and Swiss mixture firmly into
the hole, smoothing it at the top.
- Unroll and cover fillo sheets with plastic wrap, then a slightly damp towel
to prevent drying out. Place one sheet of fillo on work surface and lightly
coat with cooking spray.
- Repeat with three more layers, but don’t spray top sheet.
- Repeat with the four remaining sheets to make a second set.
- Place the Brie wheel in the middle of one set of layered fillo. Place second
layered fillo set over the Brie wheel in the same direction as the bottom set.
Mold the top fillo set around the Brie. Cut the fillo leaving a 1 1/2-inch border
around the Brie wheel; a pizza cutter works well for this.
- Starting with the closest fillo edge, begin to tightly roll the fillo up
to the cheese. Continue rolling the fillo until you have reached the starting
point creating a ring around the Brie wheel. Trim any excess fillo and tuck
into the beginning rolled section of fillo.
- Lightly brush egg wash over all of the fillo.
- Reroll unused sheets and wrap in plastic for later use.
- On a baking tray, bake Brie wheel for 10–12 minutes or until the fillo is
- Let stand for 15–20 minutes before cutting.
- Garnish with chopped chives.
Prep Time: 20 Min | Cook Time: 10 Min
Total Time: 30 Min | 1 wheel, approximately 20 servings
Nutritional Information: Serving size: 24g, Amount per serving: Calories 70, Calories
from Fat – 35, Total Fat – 3.5g, Saturated fat – 2g, Trans Fat – 0g, Cholesterol
– 15mg, Sodium – 120 mg, Dietary Fiber – 1g, Total Carbohydrate – 6g, Sugars – 0g,
Protein – 4g
Recipe and photo credit: Athens Foods