Caramelized Mushroom and Shallot Bruschetta
This Mushroom bruschetta blends the heartiness of caramelized mushrooms and shallots
with a creamy goat cheese. Serve this at your next party and your guests will think
they walked into an Italian bistro.
- 3 medium shallots, thinly sliced in rings (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups crimini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- red pepper flakes
- 4-5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sourdough baguette, cut into 1/2-inch slices on the diagonal (about 20-22 total)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 ounces goat cheese, at room temperature
- Aged balsamic vinegar
- Caramelized Shallots: Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium
saucepan over medium heat and add shallots. Sauté until translucent, about 5
minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of water and 1 teaspoon of brown sugar and continue
to cook until shallots are browned and caramelized, about 10 minutes. Set shallots
aside in a small bowl.
- Mushrooms: Heat 3 tablespoons butter in the same saucepan. Add the mushrooms and cook
on medium- high heat to soften, stirring occasionally. After about 8 minutes,
add sherry, salt, black pepper, a pinch of red pepper flakes and 3 sprigs thyme.
Continue to cook for another 5-7 minutes, or until mushrooms are slightly caramelized
and soft. Add the shallots to the mushroom mixture and set aside.
- Crostini: Put oven rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven
to 350 degrees F.
- Put bread slices on a baking sheet and brush slices with oil on both sides.
Season lightly with salt and pepper, then bake until pale golden, about 10-15
minutes. If you are grilling the crostini, heat over medium high heat and grill
each side for 3-4 minutes.
- When crostini are cool to touch, rub a clove of garlic on the top of each
- Assemble Bruschetta: Spread 1 tablespoon of goat cheese on top, spoon
the slightly warm mushroom mixture on top of goat cheese. Repeat until all crostini
- Plate the bruschetta and sprinkle tops with reserved thyme leaves, a pinch
of salt, and drizzle each bruschetta lightly with aged balsamic vinegar.
Yield: 20-22 bruschetta
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission): Mushroom Council
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Bruschetta Recipes