Mushroom and Sausage Polenta Bruschetta
White button mushrooms, lightly spiced Italian sausage, crunchy pine nuts and
fresh rosemary with a sprinkle of fresh Parmesan make for an absolutely amazing
flavor combination atop polenta bruschetta. Serve as a main dish, or as an appetizer.
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 3 teaspoons high oleic sunflower or safflower oil, divided
- 1/2 pound mild Italian sausage
- 2 cups sliced white button mushrooms
- 1/4 of a large sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, plus extra for garnish
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 Polenta Chub (i.e. Ancient Harvest), cut in half lengthwise then in to 28 “half moon” slices
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat a large skillet on medium, add pine nuts and toast for 2 minutes, stirring
- Remove pine nuts from skillet and set aside in a medium size bowl.
- Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan, add sausage, stirring well to break up and crumble.
Cook sausage over medium heat for 5 minutes or until done.
- Remove sausage from skillet and add to the bowl containing the pine nuts.
- While sausage is cooking, place mushrooms, onion, and rosemary in a food
processor with the chopping blade, and process until all ingredients are very
- After removing the sausage from the skillet, add the mushroom, onion, and
rosemary mixture to the skillet, and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the veggie mixture to the bowl containing the sausage and pine nuts.
Top with fresh ground black pepper and stir well to combine. Cover the mixture
to keep warm until ready to serve.
- Use the same skillet (if there aren't any burned bits) to cook the polenta,
or use another skillet if necessary.
- Heat skillet on medium, and add 1 teaspoon of the oil. Place half the polenta
slices in the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until desired crispiness.
- Remove polenta slices from the pan to a serving dish, and repeat with the
- Once all of the polenta slices are on the serving dish, top each slice with
a generous amount of the mushroom/sausage mixture, then sprinkle a little Parmesan
cheese on top.
- Garnish with fresh rosemary before serving.
Yield: 4 main dish servings or 14 appetizer servings
Serving Size: 7 slices (main) or 2 slices (appetizer)
Prep Time: 9 min | Cook Time: 16 min |Total Time: 25 min
Recipe used with permission from EA Stewert from the Spicy RD Nutrition and Recipe Redux.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission): Mushroom Council