Vanilla Shrimp Crostini
A tantalizing combination of textures and flavors, this appetizer is a great
replacement for shrimp cocktail on the holiday buffet.
- 1 loaf French bread
- 2 ounces Gruyere or Manchego cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter,
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection Red Pepper,
- Roasted red peppers, chopped (optional)
- Fresh chives, snipped
- Slice bread on the diagonal into 24 (1/2-inch thick) slices. Place on baking
sheet; broil until lightly toasted on both sides.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave cheese into very thin slices. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add
shrimp; cook and stir 2 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink.
- Add wine, vanilla, basil and red pepper; cook 2 to 4 minutes.
- Remove shrimp from pan.
- Boil sauce 1 minute; remove pan from heat and whisk in remaining butter,
1 tablespoon at a time. The butter must melt gradually to form a creamy sauce.
- To assemble appetizers, brush toasted bread slices with warm sauce from
skillet. Top with 1 to 2 thin slices of cheese, then 1 to 2 shrimp (depending
on size); brush with additional sauce. Garnish with roasted red pepper and chives,
Yield: 24 (1 slice) servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Nutritional information: For 1 serving Calories: 115 Sodium: 209mg Fat: 4g
Carbohydrates: 13g Cholesterol: 38mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 6g
Reprinted with permission from McCormick.