Fire and Ice Shrimp
This must be made the day before serving!
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup white rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 pounds raw shrimp, unpeeled (30 to 35 count
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger root
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 7 scallions (green and white portions), thinly sliced
- In a small bowl, soak red pepper flakes in vinegar for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring 3 quarts water to a boil. Add shrimp; simmer for 3 to 4 minutes
(longer if shrimp was still frozen), until pink. Do not overcook.
- Drain shrimp in colander and rinse with cold water to cool. Peel. If you want
more pieces, cut each shrimp in half lengthwise.
- Place vinegar-pepper liquid, ginger, garlic, sugar and salt into a blender. Blend
- Put into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Place shrimp, onions and scallions in a glass bowl.
- Add hot sauce and stir to combine well.
- Cover; chill overnight.
- Serve with wooden picks.
Yield: 12 appetizer servings
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.