Icy Spicy Shrimp
- 2 quarts water
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, or to taste up to 2 tablespoons
- 1 small red onion , thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon dried red chile pepper flakes
- 5 whole cloves
- 5 allspice berries
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 lemons, cut in half
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (2-inch) piece fresh gingerroot , finely chopped
- 2 pounds fresh shrimp
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Combine the water, salt, cayenne, and onion together in a large soup pot. Bring
the mixture to a boil over high heat.
- Meanwhile, use a spice mill or mortar and pestle to thoroughly blend the coriander,
mustard seed, celery seed, red pepper flakes, clove, allspice and bay leaf until
- Add the spice mixture to the pot. Add the lemon halves with the garlic and ginger
when the water is boiling. Simmer the mixture for about 10 minutes before adding
- Add the shrimp, heat off and cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid. Let the
shrimp steep to cook, until white throughout, about 5 minutes.
- Drain the shrimp through a colander and spread them evenly on a baking tray until
cool enough to handle.
- Refrigerate the shrimp in an airtight container with the cooked lemon halves.
- Squeeze the cooked lemon halves over the shrimp and toss with the basil just