Toasted Walnut Hummus
This citrusy, nutty hummus makes a great dip and spread. Try spreading it on
panini made with grilled vegetables for a healthful, vegetarian sandwich.
- 1/2 cup California walnuts
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1 garlic clove, quartered
- 1 14-ounce can chickpeas or garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Toast walnuts in 350 degrees F oven for 8 minutes or until golden brown. Cool
to room temperature.
- Combine toasted walnuts with oil and garlic and puree in food processor or blender
- Add chickpeas, orange zest, orange juice, salt and pepper and continue to blend
to an even, smooth consistency. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve hummus in small serving bowl alongside toasted pita bread or with a variety
of colorful raw vegetables.
Total time 13 min | Cook time 8 min
Active time 5 min | Serves 8
Nutrition Information: 143 Calories at 10g Saturated Fat 1g Monounsaturated
Fat 2g Polyunsaturated Fat 7g Trans Fat 0g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 403mg Carbohydrates
10g Dietary Fiber 2g Protein 3g
By Alisa Demarco
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission): California Walnut Board