Apple Salsa with Cinnamon Tortilla Chips
- 2 medium tart apples, chopped (recommend Granny Smith)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped
- 2 medium kiwi fruit, peeled and chopped
- 1 small orange
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons apple jelly, melted
Cinnamon Tortilla Chips
- 8 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 to 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Apple Salsa: In a large bowl, toss the chopped apples with the lemon juice to keep from browning.
Add the chopped strawberries, and kiwi.
- Grate about one tablespoon of orange peel (the zest) into the bowl. Then slice
the orange in half and squeeze out about 3 tablespoons of the orange juice. Make
sure to remove and seeds from the orange so they do not get into your salsa. Stir
in the brown sugar and jelly; set aside.
- Cinnamon Tortilla Chips: rush both sides of the tortillas with
a tiny bit of water, just enough to allow the sugar and cinnamon to stick.
- Blend together the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle it lightly over the tortillas,
turning to cover both sides. If you have an empty spice shaker, it works well to
double the mixture and sprinkle it over the tortillas from the shaker. Any leftover
sugar and cinnamon is perfect for preparing cinnamon toast, quick and easy.
- Cut each tortilla into 8 equal pie-shaped wedges as you work and place the pieces
in a single layer on a baking sheet that has been lightly coated with a non-stick
cooking spray or a thin brush of butter.
- Bake the cinnamon coated tortillas in a preheated 400 degree F oven for 6 to
8 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool until crisp, then serve with the apple salsa on the side.
Posted by kdipaolo at Recipe Goldmine 7/12/01 5:03:51 am.