Pound Cake Canapés with Strawberry Kiwi Syrup
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 ripe kiwi, peeled and sliced, then quartered
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 5 ounces cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 8 slices pound cake, thawed (cut into 1/2-inch thick slices)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Whipped topping
- Strawberry slices
- Combine strawberries, kiwi and sugar in a bowl; toss and set aside.
- Separate four slices of cake and spread each with 2 teaspoons cream cheese. Place the remaining slices on top to make sandwiches.
- Beat egg, milk and coconut extract together. Transfer to a semi-flat dish into which the cake can be dipped. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a 10-inch skillet to coat the bottom of the pan. Dip both sides of two of the sandwiches in the egg batter, place in the pan and sauté on one side until toasted. Turn sandwich over and cook until golden brown. Repeat this step for remaining sandwiches.
- Place each sandwich on a plate, cut in half and open into a "V." Spoon strawberry-kiwi syrup over sandwiches and finish with a generous swirl of whipped topping in the middle of the "V," followed by a sliced strawberry.