Asparagus and Walnut Puffs
This is a prize-winning recipe in the I LOVE Walnuts! recipe contest.
- 1 sheet puff pastry, 9-10 inches square and 1/4-inch thick, thawed if frozen
- 1 cup ricotta cheese, fat-free
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons basil, fresh, finely chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 cup California walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 16-24 asparagus spears (2 or 3 per puff, depending on size)*
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper
or a baking mat.
- Fold pastry into a 10 x 4-inch rectangle about 1/4-inch thick. Cut into six 5
x 1 1/3-inch rectangles. Place rectangles on prepared baking sheet and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the ricotta, the Parmesan, the basil, the walnuts, the
salt and the pepper. Mix well. Leaving a 1/2-inch border on each side spread 1/6
of the walnut mixture on each pastry. Place 2-3 asparagus spears on each dressed
pastry rectangle (the thickness of the asparagus will determine how many spears
are needed for each pastry).
- Bake until pastry is puffed and golden and asparagus is soft, about 12-15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Total time 32 min | Cook time 12 min | Yield: 6 servings
Tip: For variety use white asparagus or a combination of green and white.
Nutrition: 330 calories fat 24g saturated fat 4g Monounsaturated fat 5g Polyunsaturated
fat 14g Cholesterol 11mg Sodium 416mg Carbohydrates 19g Dietary fiber 2g Protein
By Carole Resnick
Recipe and photo credit: California Walnuts
Please SHOP HERE to support this site. We are an Amazon affiliate as a means of paying for the high cost of maintaining Recipe Goldmine. Thank you.