Asparagus and Walnut Puffs
Asparagus and Walnut Puffs is a prize-winning recipe in the I LOVE Walnuts! recipe contest.
For variety use white asparagus or a combination of green and white.
- 1 sheet puff pastry, 9-10 inches square and 1/4-inch thick, thawed if frozen
- 1 cup ricotta cheese, fat-free
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons basil, fresh, finely chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 cup California walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 16-24 asparagus spears (2 or 3 per puff, depending on size)*
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- Fold pastry into a 10 x 4-inch rectangle about 1/4-inch thick. Cut into six 5 x 1 1/3-inch rectangles. Place rectangles on prepared baking sheet and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the ricotta, the Parmesan, the basil, the walnuts, the salt and the pepper. Mix well. Leaving a 1/2-inch border on each side spread 1/6 of the walnut mixture on each pastry. Place 2-3 asparagus spears on each dressed pastry rectangle (the thickness of the asparagus will determine how many spears are needed for each pastry).
- Bake until pastry is puffed and golden and asparagus is soft, about 12-15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Total time: 32 min | Cook time: 12 min | Yield: 6 servings
Nutrition: 330 calories fat 24g saturated fat 4g Monounsaturated fat 5g Polyunsaturated
fat 14g Cholesterol 11mg Sodium 416mg Carbohydrates 19g Dietary fiber 2g Protein
By Carole Resnick
Recipe and photo used with permission from: California Walnuts
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.