Black Bean Cakes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 (16 ounce) can Cuban black beans
- 1 egg
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled corn flakes or breadcrumbs of your choice
- Several dashes hot sauce
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Cornmeal for dredging
- Mix all ingredients in a glass bowl. Place the bowl in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- When the mixture has chilled and set, bring it to the counter and shape it into four balls.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick frying pan. Dredge each ball lightly through the cornmeal and drop it gently onto the hot oil. Flatten gently with a spatula. Fry for about 4 minutes on each side.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with your favorite salsa, dollops of sour cream, and guacamole.