Chinese-Style Crispy Shrimp
- 1 pound fresh or frozen raw shrimp
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Red Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper sauce
- Shrimp: Remove shells from shrimp, leaving tails intact. If shrimp are frozen do not
thaw; peel under running cold water. Make a shallow cut lengthwise down back of
each shrimp and devein. Slit shrimp lengthwise down back almost in half.
- Mix egg, the 1 tablespoon cornstarch, the wine, soy sauce and the 1/4 teaspoon
salt in glass bowl; stir in shrimp. Cover and refrigerate 10 minutes. Heat oil (1
1/2-inches) in 3 quart saucepan to 375 degrees F.
- Mix flour, water, the 3 tablespoons cornstarch, 1 tablespoon oil, baking soda
and the 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir shrimp into batter until coated. Fry 5 or 6 shrimp
at a time, turning occasionally, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes; drain.
- Serve hot with Red Sweet and Sour Sauce.
- Red Sweet and Sour Sauce: Mix all ingredients.
Yield: about 20 appetizers
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Hot Savory Appetizer Recipes