Crabby Jalapeno Fritters
- 12 large jalapenos
- 4 ounces crabmeat, well drained
- 1/3 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup minced green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Mexican beer
- Corn oil (for deep frying)
- 1/2 avocado, peeled, diced
- 1/2 cup mild salsa, drained
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- Additional flour for dredging jalapenos
- Leaving stems attached, cut chiles lengthwise in half. Seed.
- In heavy medium saucepan, cover chiles with cold water and bring to simmer. Drain.
- Repeat process. Dry chiles.
- Combine crab, onion, bell pepper, and mayonnaise in small bowl. Season with salt
- Fill chiles with crab mixture. Press chile halves together. (Can be prepared
4 hours ahead. Cover. Chill.)
- Place 1/2 cup flour in bowl. Gradually whisk in beer. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in heavy deep pot to 375 degrees F.
- Whisk batter to smooth. Dredge chilies in flour. Dip in batter to coat completely
and deep fry until golden brown, about 3 minute. Drain on paper towels.
- Combine avocado, salsa, mayonnaise in small bowl. Season to taste.
- Place chiles on platter. Garnish with salsa.