Crispy California Asparagus Straws
This is a fast appetizer with great flavor. You can prepare them ahead of time
and bake just before serving. As an option you can add a slice of prosciutto
when you roll the asparagus up in the dough.
- 36 fresh California asparagus spears
- 4 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
- 4 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Salt and pepper to sprinkle on top
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Trim ends of asparagus. Blanche ssparagus in boiling salted water until lightly
tender to the bite, about 3 minutes.
- Place one sheet of phyllo on a cutting board. Set aside the remaining sheets,
cover with a damp towel.
- Brush the phyllo sheet with melted butter. Cut the sheet into nine rectangles,
two cuts down from the top, two cuts across. Place an asparagus spear at the bottom
of the short side of the rectangle with the tip sticking out from the dough by 2
inches. Sprinkle on a teaspoon of cheese. Roll up spear and seal with butter. Finish
with remaining spears.
- Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with remaining cheese,
salt and pepper. Cover the exposed asparagus tips with foil.
- Bake until golden brown and crispy 10 to 12 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Yield: 36 single asparagus straws
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission): California Asparagus Commission