Fried Mac and Cheese Balls
These fried mac and cheese balls make the perfect appetizer, whether you’re
entertaining a large crowd or having a more intimate gathering. While this
recipe includes two major steps, making the macaroni and cheese and then making
the fried macaroni balls, the results are totally worth the upfront effort. We
know you’ll love this delicious twist on everyone’s favorite comfort food!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 16 ounces Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, shredded (about 4 cups)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Fried Macaroni Balls
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup garlic and herb breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 quarts canola oil
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce
- Blue cheese or Ranch dressing for dipping
- Macaroni and Cheese: Boil the uncooked pasta in salted water until tender.
Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter and whisk in the garlic, in a
large pot over medium heat, stirring until fragrant. Add the flour to the
butter mixture and whisk until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Pour the milk into the pot, while whisking continuously until the mixture is smooth and
thickened slightly. Add the cheese and stir until smooth. Season with salt
and pepper to taste.
- Pour the cooked noodles into the pot and stir to coat.
Transfer the mixture to a 7” x 11” (or similar size) casserole dish and let
cool to room temperature. Cover dish and place in the fridge to cool
completely, about 1 to 2 hours.
- Fried Macaroni Balls:
Heat the canola oil in a large, heavy bottom pot or in a fryer to 375
- Whisk the eggs in a shallow bowl and set aside. Pour the
breadcrumbs in another shallow dish and set beside the eggs.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoons worth of cold macaroni and cheese from the dish and
using your hands form into a tight ball. Roll the ball in the eggs, coating
the macaroni. Transfer the ball to the breadcrumbs and roll around until
coated completely. Place ball on a foil lined baking sheet, repeating with
the remaining macaroni until all of the balls are ready to be fried.
- Place the balls, up to 3 at a time, into the hot oil and cook until golden
brown (about 1 to 2 minutes) then transfer to a towel lined plate.
- Drizzle the fried macaroni balls with the buffalo sauce and dip in the blue
cheese or ranch dressing.
Yield: 16 servings, 2 balls each
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Hot Savory Appetizer Recipes