One of the most flavorful ways in the world to make chicken livers. Classic Rumaki is a great
appetizer for the holidays. The crispiness of the water chestnuts and the myriad of seasonings
make this a winner every time.
- 1 pound chicken livers or shrimp
- 1 large can whole water chestnuts
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground red chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 pound bacon
- Onion powder
- 1/4 cup sherry or sweet sake
- 1 teaspoon minced, fresh ginger
- 2 large cloves garlic, mashed
- Brown sugar
- Separate bacon slices, cut into halves, and layer on wax paper on a flat pan. Place in freezer for 1/2 hour.
- Slice water chestnuts in half. Do not use already sliced; they will be too thin and break.
- Clean livers and separate on work space; sprinkle lightly with onion powder. Fold liver section around chestnut and wrap in section of bacon. Secure with a wooden pick, making sure pick goes through the chestnut.
- Mix soy, sherry and seasonings in a flat container. Place liver bundles in mixture to marinate. Marinate at least 1 hour in refrigerator, turning at least once.
- When ready to cook, place each bundle on broiler pan, sprinkle with brown sugar and broil until bacon is crisp and liver is done. Turn to broil on all sides. DO NOT BROIL CLOSE TO HEAT or liver will not fully cook.
- Serve hot from the oven.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.