Salt and Pepper Shrimp
- 1 pound large shrimp in their shells (25)
- 6 cups vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Sichuan pepper
- Deep-fat thermometer
- Cut each shrimp shell lengthwise along back with scissors, leaving last segment
intact, then devein shrimp, leaving shell in place. Cut off feathery legs and sharp pointed section of shell above soft tail fins. Rinse
shrimp and dry thoroughly.
- Heat oil in a wok or deep heavy pot over high heat until it registers 400 degrees
F on deep-fat thermometer. Deep-fry shrimp in 4 batches until shells bubble and
shrimp are bright pink, 45 to 60 seconds (they will be slightly undercooked), returning oil to 400 degrees F between batches.
- Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
- Carefully pour oil into a heatproof bowl (to cool before discarding), then wipe wok clean with
- Stir together salt, pepper, and five-spice powder.
- Heat wok or a heavy skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then add deep-fried
shrimp and spice mix and stir-fry for 10 seconds.
Yield: 6 (hors d'oeuvre) servings
Source: Gourmet - June 2001
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.