Shrimp and Jalapeno Hush Puppies
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/4 pound raw shrimp, shelled, deveined
- 1 whole jalapeno, seeded, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups white cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon melted bacon drippings
- Oil, for deep frying
- Sauté onion, shrimp, jalapeno and parsley in 2 teaspoons of oil for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Mix together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt.
- Bring 1 1/2 cups water to rolling boil. Remove pan from heat. Pour in cornmeal
mixture; beat well. Cool for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add sautéed ingredients, egg and bacon grease, beating well after each addition.
Completed dough should be fairly dry but not cohesive. Cool.
- Fill pan with 3 to 4 inches of oil. Bring to 375 degrees F. Drop full teaspoonsful
of dough into hot oil and fry about 1 minute, until golden brown and cooked through.
- Drain and serve hot.
Yield: about 30
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Hot Savory Appetizer Recipes