These sopes, or cornmeal cakes, make wonderful appetizers. Top them with a dollop
of sour cream and a sprinkling of green onions or use refried beans with tomatoes
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 cup masa harina flour (Mexican corn masa mix)
- 1/4 cup shortening or lard
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans, warmed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar, Monterey Jack or crumbled cotija cheese
- taco sauce
- sliced pickled jalapeños
- sour cream
- chopped green onions
- Place corn meal and flour in large bowl; cut in shortening with pastry blender
or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add water, kneading
until smooth. Add chiles; mix well. Form dough into 16 small balls. Pat each ball
into 3-inch patty; place on wax paper.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Cook patties for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown, adding additional
oil as needed to prevent sticking.
- Top with beans, cheese, taco sauce, jalapeño slices, sour cream and green onions.
Prep Time: 20 min | Cooking Time: 20 min | Servings: 16
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Nestlé® and meals.com
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.