South of the Border Meatballs
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups plain dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (1 if wanted less hot)
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Make sauce by blending tomatoes (and their juice) with the chipotle peppers,
onion, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper in a blender at low
speed. Reserve 1/4 cup of sauce.
- Make meatballs by mixing ground beef, eggs, bread crumbs, 1 teaspoon of salt,
1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper, and 1/4 cup of the sauce in large bowl. Shape into meatballs and place on shallow
baking pan with sides.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes. Drain any fat off of meatballs.
- Mix sauce and chicken broth in pan large enough to hold it and the meatballs.
Add meatballs and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Place sauce and meatballs in chafing dish and serve with cocktail picks.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.