Artichoke Spread with Blue Cheese
Serve this delicious artichoke and blue cheese spread with mild-flavored crackers.
- Butter for greasing pan
- 3 tablespoons seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups (12 ounces) Wisconsin Blue Cheese, crumbled
- 1 1/3 cups dairy sour cream, divided use
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon each: minced fresh basil and fresh oregano OR 2 teaspoons each: dried basil and oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup chopped artichoke hearts, drained well
- Quartered artichoke hearts for garnish, if desired
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Butter bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Sprinkle with bread
- Beat cream cheese in large mixer bowl until light and fluffy.
- Stir in blue cheese and 2/3 cup sour cream.
- Beat in eggs.
- Sauté shallot in butter until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir shallot into cheese mixture along with herbs and pepper. Fold in artichoke
pieces. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Spread remaining sour cream over top. Garnish with artichoke quarters. Bake
for 5 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature on wire rack.
- Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- To serve, place on serving plate. Carefully run knife around outer edges;
remove sides of pan.
Yield: 14 to 16 appetizer servings
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission): Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin