Whether you call it Bacon Jam, Bacon Onion Relish, or Devil's Delight, this sweet,
salty, bacon-y spread is outstandingly good. Crisp salty bacon is simmered for hours
with onions, maple syrup, brown sugar, and a couple of secret ingredients to create
a soft, spreadable jam that's divine on toast or crostini, fresh vegetables, pita
bread, new potatoes... the list goes on and on!
- 1 1/2 pounds bacon
- 2 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
cup boiled cider
- 3/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 dried bay leaves
- salt and
pepper to taste
- Slice the bacon into 1-inch slices and cook in a large skillet until well
browned. Drain the fat and reserve the bacon.
- Place the cooked bacon and all other ingredients into a 2 quart or larger
crock pot. Cover and cook over high heat for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove the cooked jam from the crock pot, fish out the bay leaves, and carefully
transfer to a food processor or blender. Pulse until the consistency is to your
liking, a soft spreadable jam. You can leave the bacon in larger bits or pulse
until very small, your choice.
- If you find the jam too liquid for your taste, transfer to a small saucepan
and cook over medium heat until the liquid has evaporated and the jam is thick
and syrupy. Adjust the seasonings and serve warm.
- Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Warm in the microwave before serving.
Hands-on time: 20 mins. to 25 mins.
Total time: 4 hrs 20 mins. to 4 hrs 40
Yield: 2 cups jam
Reprinted with permission from King Arthur Flour - kingarthurflour.com.