Football Cheddar Crackers
You can use any shape cookie cutter, but it's hard to beat footballs, especially
on game day.
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne), or more to taste (or your favorite herb or spice)
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) Cabot Salted Butter
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 8 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 2 cups)
- Line baking sheets with parchment or coat lightly with butter.
- In medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and cayenne or other seasoning
with whisk or fork.
- Cut butter into small pieces and distribute throughout flour mixture.
- With food processor, electric mixer with paddle attachment, pastry blender
or your fingertips, beat or blend flour and butter together until butter is
- Add egg and beat or blend for 1 to 2 minutes longer until medium-firm dough
- Add cheese and beat or blend for another minute or two until incorporated.
- Press dough into rectangle, wrap in plastic wrap and chill in freezer for
about 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Unwrap dough and place on lightly floured work surface. Roll out into 1/8-inch-thick
(or thinner) layer.
- With football-shaped cookie cutter*, cut out crackers and place on prepared
- Bake crackers for 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Let cool on baking sheets, then store in tightly covered container for up
to one week.
Makes about 3 1/2 dozen (3 x 1 1/2-inch) crackers or 14 servings
Recipe courtesy of Jimmy Kennedy.
Recipe and photo credit: cabotcheese.coop