Habanero Cheddar Straws
Habanero Cheddar Straws are made from puff pastry, hot habanero cheddar cheese
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (half of 17.3-ounce package), thawed and unfolded
- 6 ounces Cabot Hot Habanero Cheddar, finely grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with 2 tablespoons water
- Place rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two
baking sheets with parchment paper or coat with nonstick spray.
- On lightly floured work surface, use rolling pin to lengthen puff pasty
sheet to about 18 inches.
- In small bowl, toss together cheese and cumin. Lightly brush sheet with
some of beaten egg. Sprinkle evenly with half of cheese.
- Top pastry with large sheet of plastic wrap, and press surface lightly to
embed cheese in pastry.
- Invert pastry and plastic wrap. Brush new surface with egg wash and sprinkle
with remaining cheese.
- Pick up one short side of pastry and fold lengthwise in thirds, like a letter.
- Discard plastic wrap.
- Lightly dust top and bottom of strip with flour. With rolling pin, lengthen
strip to about 18 inches.
- Cut strip crosswise into 1/4-inch strips. Arrange strips 1/2 inch apart
on baking sheets, twisting twice before placing on sheet and pressing lightly
to keep from untwisting.
- Bake in upper third of oven for 12 to 18 minutes or until well browned and
crisp, watching carefully toward the end.
- Let cool, then store in airtight container for up to 2 days.
- Re-crisp in 350 degree F oven before serving if desired.
Makes about 4 dozen straws.
Reprinted with permission from cabotcheese.coop.