Rustic Cheddar Crackers
Serve these as a crunchy nibble on their own, or as a partner for soup or chili.
Once you have the recipe down, try additions like chopped pecans, minced sundried
tomatoes, dried rosemary or toasted sesame seeds.
- 6 ounces Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar, Cabot Seriously
- Sharp Cheddar or Cabot Farmhouse Reserve Cheddar, grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Place rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line two
baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, stir together cheese, white and whole wheat flours and salt
with fork until well blended.
- Make well in center of dry ingredients; add water and oil and stir, pulling
dry ingredients into wet until combined. Briefly knead dough into ball.
- Divide dough in half. On floured work surface, adding more flour as needed
to keep dough from sticking, firmly roll one piece of dough into very thin sheet,
as large as baking sheet. Lift onto prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining piece of dough.
- With pizza cutter, pastry cutter or knife, cut dough into 1- x 2-inch rectangles
or other shapes or sizes as desired.
- Bake (one sheet at a time if necessary) for 10 to 12 minutes or until well
browned and completely crisp. (Edges of crackers will brown first, so remove
those with metal spatula and return remaining crackers to oven to finish baking,
- Let cool completely, then store in zip-close bag or other airtight container.
Makes about 8 dozen 1 x 2-inch crackers.
Reprinted with permission from cabotcheese.coop.