Ham and Cheese Mini Sandwiches
Do ahead tips: Toast the bread ahead, and thinly slice the apple, placing apple
slices in lemon water to prevent them from turning brown. If you need to assemble
the sandwiches ahead, don't add the watercress, and cover them with a very light
moistened paper towel.
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 8 slices thin white bread (Pepperidge Farm is recommended)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large or 2 small green apples
- 4 to 6 ounces aged Gouda
- 1 tablespoon Dijon or whole grain mustard, apple butter or chutney
- 1/2 bunch watercress
- 8 thin slices prosciutto
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring water, vinegar and brown sugar to a boil.
- Add the onions and remove from the heat. Cover, and set aside until the
onions come to room temperature.
- Trim the crusts from the bread and cut the bread into thirds, for 3 rectangles
- Lightly brush both sides of the bread pieces with olive oil and lay out on a
- Toast in the oven until just crisp and lightly brown, about 5 minutes.
- To assemble: Quarter, core, and very thinly slice the apple, (a mandolin
is terrific for this).
- Very thinly slice the cheese into triangles or shards that will fit nicely on the
- Place a dab or smear of mustard on the bread.
- Place a piece of apple, cheese and 1 or 2 sprigs of watercress on each piece
of toasted bread.
- Wrap a small piece of prosciutto around each stack to make a neat
- Top with a little bit of the pickled onions, a drizzle of olive oil and freshly
cracked black pepper.
- Serve at room temperature.