Smoked Salmon and Cucumber Tea Sandwiches
- 1/2 cup creme fraîche
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Kosher salt and
freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 medium English cucumber
- 8 large slices pumpernickel bread, each cut into four 2-inch triangles
- 1/4 pound thinly
sliced cold-smoked salmon, cut into 16 pieces
- In a small bowl, mix the creme fraîche with the dill and season to taste
with salt and pepper.
- Peel the cucumber. Using the peeler, shave 16 wide strips from several sides
of the cucumber (discard the seed core).
- In a medium bowl, toss the cucumber strips with 1/4 teaspoon salt and let
sit until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Pat dry with paper towels.
- Spread the creme fraîche generously on one side of each bread triangle (you
may not use it all).
- Top half of the triangles with a folded cucumber strip, a curl of the salmon,
and a grind of black pepper.
- Set the remaining bread on top and serve.
Note: You can combine the creme fraîche and dill, season to taste, and refrigerate
this mixture for up to 24 hours, tightly covered.