Dazzle Guests with a July 4th Feast
Celebrate warm weather, abundant outdoor activities and all the fun of July Fourth
with a flavorful and festive gathering. Independence Day only comes once a year,
so make it count and invite your favorite guests over for a memorable event. You'll
go out with a bang when you serve up these palate-pleasing dishes at your patriotic
Red, White and Blue Watermelon Cake
Patriotic and Perfectly Sweet
This July Fourth, serve watermelon. This yummy fruit boasts sweetness and nutrition
at a great value. Loaded with vitamins A, B6 and C, as well as antioxidants and
heart-healthy amino acids, it's a welcome addition to your summer spread. For more
recipes, visit www.watermelon.org.
- 1 seedless watermelon
- 1 cup low or no fat natural vanilla flavored yogurt
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- Place watermelon on side on cutting board.
- Cut 3-5 inches off each end to create large center slice between 3-5 inches in
depth. Trim off outer rind.
- Cut watermelon slice into 6-8 pie-shaped wedges. Blot edges with paper towels
to absorb excess moisture.
- Dip the back (curved) side of each slice in yogurt and then almonds, re-assembling
pieces on serving platter as each piece is completed.
- When finished, it will look like piecrust of almonds around watermelon slices.
Frost top of reassembled watermelon with remaining yogurt and decorate top with
- Serve cold.
Fresh Off the Grill: "For a red-white-and-blue burger that tastes as good as it looks, I use ground
bison on a brioche bun, topped with Castello Burger Blue Cheese," says celebrity
chef Michael Symon. For more recipes, visit castellocheeseusa.com.
Bison Burger with Blue Cheese
Recipe courtesy of Michael Symon
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground bison, loosely packed into burger patties
- 4 slices Castello Burger Blue cheese
- 4 brioche-style soft hamburger buns, toasted
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced into rings
- 1 cup arugula
- Heat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Season burgers with salt and freshly ground black pepper on both sides. Drizzle
with olive oil, then place on grill.
- Cook 3 minutes, then flip.
- Add slices of blue cheese (1 slice per burger), and let cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Remove burgers from grill and place patties on toasted buns.
- Top each burger with slice of red onion and 1/4 of arugula.
Dipped Ice Cream Cones
Add color and crunch to your cones with a dip in red, white or blue melted Candy
Melts candy and a variety of patriotic sprinkles. The Cone Cakes baking rack holds
the cones for drying and serving. For more recipes, visit
Yield: 12 ice cream cones
- 1 bag (12 ounces) Bright White Candy Melts Candy
- Sugar ice cream cones
- Jimmies 6-Mix Sprinkle Assortment
- Rainbow Jimmies
- Melt candy in microwave safe bowl. Dip cones about 1 inch deep around opening
of cone. Cut small hole in tip of bag and drizzle melted candy 1 inch deep around
opening of cone. Tap cone lightly to smooth, and sprinkle with jimmies. Position
cone in cone rack. Let chill, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add ice cream scoops at party and serve in cone rack.
Source: Family Features