Back of the Box Recipes
Classic Chocolate Cake
This recipe is from the back of a Hershey's cocoa can in 1943.
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups whole milk
- Confectioners' sugar or favorite frosting
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating until smooth after each addition. Pour batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- When cake is cool, dust with confectioners' sugar or top with your favorite frosting.
Source: Hershey's cocoa can - 1943