Back of the Box Recipes
This recipe was on the Hershey's cocoa container many years ago.
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup Hershey's cocoa
- 1/8 teapoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 stick butter (1/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line an 8 or 9 inch square pan with aluminum foil, then butter the foil well.
- Add the sugar, cocoa powder and salt to a large saucepan and mix the ingredients with a wooden spoon until they are combined.
- Add the milk to the saucepan and stir. Turn the heat on medium-high and continue stirring until the mixture begins to boil.
- Once the mixture begins to boil, stop stirring and add a candy thermometer to the side of the saucepan.
- Cook until the mixture reaches 234 degrees F or forms a soft ball in cold water.
- Remove from heat and add the butter and vanilla extract. DON'T STIR!
- Cool to about 110 degrees F and beat until some of the sheen from the fudge dulls. This may take a few minutes.
- Pour into a buttered dish.
- Run a knife gently through the fudge to get rid of some of the air bubbles and allow to set up for several hours.
- Refrigerate and enjoy!
Photo credit: (c) Can Stock Photo / lisafx