Baked Curried Lentils
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large Walla Walla or other onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 1/3 cups dry lentils
- 1 cup shredded white Cheddar cheese
- In a 5- to 6-quart pan, combine oil, onions and garlic; stir over high heat until onions are tinged with brown, about 8 minutes. Stir in curry powder. Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Sort and discard debris from lentils. Rinse lentils, then drain. Add to broth. Cover and simmer until lentils are tender to bite, 30 to 35 minutes. If mixture is soupy, boil uncovered until liquid is just below surface of lentils, stirring often.
- Pour lentils into a shallow 3-quart casserole. (If making ahead, cool, cover and chill up to 1 day.) Bake, covered, at 350 degrees F until lentils absorb most of the liquid, about 30 minutes (if chilled, 1 to 1 1/4 hours).
- Uncover and sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cheese melts, about 5 minutes.