Boiled Pinto Beans
- 2 cups dry pinto beans
- 1 garlic clove, slightly crushed
- 1 small chunk white onion
- 6 to 8 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Clean beans and rinse in cold water once or twice until water runs clear. Cover beans with hot water and soak overnight.
- Place hot water in a large pot that has a tight-fitting lid. Add pinto beans, garlic clove, onion and water. Bring to a boil and lower heat to medium, keeping it at a simmer. Cook, covered, for 2 or 3 hours or until tender. If more water is needed always add boiling water, a cup or so at a time.
- Add salt after beans are soft.
Yield: about 4 cups cooked beans and 2 cups broth