Boston Baked Beans
The secret of delicious baked beans is to keep them covered with water at all
times except during the last hour of baking.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2-quart bean pot
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 pounds white pea beans
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 pound fat salt pork
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 8 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 medium size onion
- 2/3 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Soak beans overnight in water.
- In the morning, rinse the beans and cover with fresh water that you have
added 1 teaspoon of baking soda and parboil them for 10 minutes.
- Run cold water through the beans in a colander or strainer. Score salt pork
into 1- inch squares, then cut in. Put 1/2 of the salt pork on the bottom of
the bean pot with whole peeled onion. Put beans in the pot and put the rest
of the salt pork on top.
- Mix other ingredients with boiling water and pour over beans.
- Bake in preheated 250 degree F oven for 8 hours. Keep adding water as necessary
to keep the beans moist, but be sure not to flood the beans. Do not cover.
Serves 8 to 10.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Bean Recipes