- 1 pound pinto beans
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 jalapeno peppers, sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon ground hot red chile
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted ground cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Sort, rinse and soak beans overnight in about 3 quarts of water.
- Drain beans and cover them with about 1 inch of fresh water. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons
of the oil. Cook beans, covered, for 45 minutes to 1 hours, stirring occasionally,
until they are tender.
- Heat remaining oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Sauté garlic, jalapenos
and onion until just tender.
- Add sautéed vegetables to the beans with the ground chile, cumin and salt;
stir well. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings. Garnish with cilantro.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.