Down Home Black-Eyed Peas
- 1 pound smoked ham hocks or shanks
- 2 quarts water
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- On first day, place ham hocks in a large, heavy saucepan with water. Bring
to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove ham hocks. When cool enough to handle, dice meat, discarding skin
and bones. Chill overnight in liquid.
- On second day, remove hardened fat from liquid. Wash and sort peas. Add
to pot and chill overnight.
- On third day, add onion, green pepper, mustard, salt and pepper. Bring to
a boil. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 2 hours, or until peas
are tender and most of liquid has evaporated.
Serves 8 to 10.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.