Dried Hay Beans
These beans are still made in many Mennonite families.
You can also cook fresh green beans this way.
- 3 cups dried green string beans
- 1/4 pound bacon or salt pork
- Dash of pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Water to cover
- Soak dried beans in warm water for 1 hour.
- Cut bacon or salt pork into small cubes and fry in a Dutch oven or heavy
saucepan until lightly browned. Add beans and partially cover with water. Cook
until tender and most of the water is absorbed.
>> BEAN RECIPES
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.