Extra-Hearty Pinto Beans
- 2 pounds dry pinto beans
- 4 pounds ham hocks, rinsed
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt, to taste
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Sort beans and rinse. Place beans in 6- to 8-quart pan; add ham hocks, 2 quarts
water and beer. Bring to boil over high heat; reduce heat, cover and simmer until beans are almost tender (about 2 1/2 hours).
- Meanwhile, in 10- to 12-inch fry pan over medium heat, cook onions and garlic
in oil, stirring often until onions are limp (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in the tomato sauce, bouillon cubes, cilantro or parsley, chili powder and
cumin. Bring to boil over high heat; turn heat to medium-low and simmer sauce, uncovered, until reduced to 3 cups (about 20 minutes).
- Stir tomato mixture into beans. Cover and continue to cook until beans are tender
to bite and meat pulls easily from bones (about 45 minutes).
- Lift out ham hocks; discard bones and fat, return meat to beans. Season to taste
with salt and cayenne pepper.
Yield: about 4 quarts