This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Hart Stillwell's Baked Beans
Hart Stillwell, a frontier novelist, made a rough version of these beans over
campfires while on fishing and hunting trips. If you like beans less sweet, reduce
the amount of brown sugar.
- 2 pounds cooked navy beans or other white beans
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar (or less)
- 3/4 cup strong black coffee
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 4 slices slab bacon, chopped
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons unsulphured dark molasses
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Pour the mixture into a baking
- Bake the beans, uncovered, about 1 1/2 hours, or until they have thickened
and cooked down, with a "skin" just beginning to form on the top of
These beans reheat well and keep refrigerated for several days.